What is Self Advocacy?
Self Advocacy is about people making choices and speaking up for themselves.
Sometimes it can be difficult to do this, so it can be helpful to join a group of other people who also want to speak up. Being part of a group can increase a person’s confidence and it is also a good way to meet new people and make new friends. Social activities are often arranged with group members meeting for a meal or visiting the shops.
Self Advocacy groups are also used as part of the Social Services consultation process in the delivery of new services. Group members are asked to discuss and let their views be known on issues such as work, health and housing.
- Thurrock Keep Safe Scheme
- Community Group Stifford Clays
- Lunch Buddies South Ockendon
- Community Group Basildon
- Community Group South Ockendon Centre
- Basildon MEPP Surgery Group
- Brentwood MEPP Surgery Group
- Self – Advocacy for Older People Project
- Zero Five Club